Saturday, December 6, 2014

12 Days of Christmas; Mitten Ornament Tutorial

So happy to be a part of the 12 Days of Christmas Challenge! To be honest I had no idea what I could do that would be fun, different and gave myself the extra challenge of using what I already had on hand. 


The first idea was to make something using pine cones...I picked up a ton of them while at my aunt's up north. Searched Pinterest for ideas but I also had a serious time issue (I didn't have a lot of it!) and I wanted to make it look perfect. (I may have to post later this month what I made with all those pine cones, it turned out gorgeous!) 

I was also thinking of the quilted no sew Chirstmas ball, I've been making them for about 15 years, but again, I wanted something different.

So this is how I came up with my idea of making little mitten ornaments, left over socks from elves (I hate to waste), hummmm....Walked around window shopping....saw a couple of styles in Christmas trees and thought I should give it a go!



These are the supplies I used, 1 men's wool sock and red embroidery floss, but you can use any color you like. You can also uscycle a knit sweater.


I started by drawing on papaer the shape I would like my mittens to have, then cut the shape out adding a 3/8" seam allowance. Placed my pattern piece on two layers of the fabric. If you are making the mittens that attach with a string you will need to cut out 4 and if you want a single mitten just cut 2 mirror image.



Using the 3/8" seam allowance, stitch the shape with right sides together. You'll want to snip all the way down the "v" between the thumb and the hand with out going through your stitching. I also used a zigzag stitch to make sure that my knit wouldn't come undone.




Turn right side out and repeat for the other hand.




For the open edge of the mitten I used a blanket stitch to finish it off and make it look all pretty. I marked my finger to use as a guide to make my stitches even. 



I also embroidered a snowflake on them, but I could have made a heart, an initial, or anything else...sky is the limit!


I used a crochet hook to make a chain stitch and attached them together. 



And there you have it, my little mitten ornaments! 



Don't forget to visit all of the bloggers who are creating tutorials for the Sew McCool 12 Days of Christmas challenge! Voting will begin on www.sewmccool.com on December 13 and go through 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern time on December 20. The blogger with the most votes will win $100 - just in time for Christmas! you can vote here for your favorite!
December 1
December 2
Natalie @ Sew Outnumbered *Deby @ So-Sew-Easy * Ajaire @ Call Ajaire
December 3
December 4
December 5
Beth @ Beth Jarrett * Jen @ Just Joshin
December 6
December 7
December 8
Addie @ Addie K * Michelle @ Not My Tree
December 9
Ula @ Lulu & Celeste * Sara @ Made By Sara * Chelsea @ GYCT Designs
December 10
Nichole @ Bluebird & the Boy * Darcy @ Ginger House Designs * Shelly @ Coral & Co.
December 11
December 12
Maegen @ Mae and K * Jess @ Gracious Threads * Jone @ Knot Sew Normal

Until next time, xx.

2 comments: