Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pockets

I love putting pockets on children's clothing, I don't always like what I might find in them, you can make some pretty amazing discoveries when you sort the laundry. Sometimes a plain square or retangle pocket will do the trick, but why not try something new like a rounded corner pocket. This is how I do it.


I start off with a piece of fabric about 5 inches by 5.5 inches, on the grain line.




I use a rounded edge to mark the 2 lower coners.




The edges are cut and this is what your pocket should look like. 



At the top, I press in 1/4 inch and again 1/2 inch.



Notice how I have it pinned. Right sides together at the second fold that I made. I choose to sew at a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Some patterns require 5/8 inches others only 3/8 inches. 




So now I've basted abound the pocket edge  and clipped the top corners making sure not to cut my seam. Turn you pocket right side out.




I use pinking scissors to trim the curves. It helps make the shape nice and round. Everything is now pressed.




Top stitch at 3/8 inches as shown here. Your pocket is now ready to be sewn on to your garment! 




Here it is on the garment. Stay tuned to see the garment all finished! 




 




No comments:

Post a Comment