Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Sitting Around

Taking a break from clothing today. I wanted to show you a tutorial that my friend Elena brought to my attention. The other day we were shopping at IKEA for, you know, stuff...when I go there I don't actually need anything but I always walk out with something. We get to the section with all the little rugs and she mentioned she had seen what looked like a fun tutorial so she picked up 4 rugs at 2.99 each.




Armed with 4 small rugs and this tutorial from Retropolitan I put my own spin on this very fun project.

Here are a few things you will need for this project:


  • Size 16 sewing machine needle (or denim needle)
  • 20 inch or more zipper (it can always be cut down to size)
  • Measuring tape
  • 3 IKEA rugs @ 2.99
  • Beanbag filling


I did change up the size just a bit because of the dimensions of the rugs, they were just slightly smaller by a couple of inches. And one very important thing I did change in the steps of completing the poof is I sewed up the zipper first. I just felt it would be easier to negotiate that zipper before assembling the poof.



These are the steps I followed:


  1. Cut out the pieces required for the poof.
  2. Sew in zipper (this is an easy to follow tutorial for conventional zippers).
  3. Sew the rest of the sides of the poof together...Leave zipper open so that you're able to turn your poof right side out.
  4. Fill your poof (I would suggest putting the bean bag filling in a pocket made from woven cotton so you don't end up with the filling all over the place if a child should open that zipper).




With the 4th little rug I was able to make a matching throw pillow. Mine was 12" X 12", but it could have been made any size.

Last step...sit and enjoy!



Until next time, xx.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Will have to make this for my kiddos. How much bean bag filling did this take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the size and how full you may want it anywhere from 1 to 1.5 bags. They're really a breeze to make once the zipper is in. I hope your kiddos enjoy their new seating :)

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I'm needing new cushions for my swing. This would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could very well work if they have foam shapes in the inside instead of the beanbag fill, but I wouldn't leave them outside in the rain. I think it could be quite comfy.

      Delete