Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Memory Quilt

I wanted to share a special project that I had the honor and privilage to work on. I was commissioned to work on a memory quilt for a sweet girl for her 13th birthday. I had two shopping bags full of clothes all associated with this family's momories.  Something of her parents, her aunts, her grandmother and great grandmother, her baby sister.

I was really excited to do this project because I remember, as a child, my mother and aunts sitting around a quilt my grandmother had made talking about where the different fabrics were from. A dress from a special occaision, or fabric left over from a great-aunt or great-grandmother.



This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, I mean who am I to decide what's important to this wonderful little girl, what will mom think of the way I chose to cut out precious family memories. I knew that I had to make it pretty and it had to last through wear and tear.

Trying to make all those pieces match up, measuring twice, and no room for mistakes. I took on piece by piece, stitching seams, pressing then top stitching for durability. I spent so much time ironing!



I was so pleased with the end result, this is only a little peek. Only once I got word that the birthday girl loved her new keepsake was I able to breathe. 

Thanks for putting this special project in my hands and letting me share it with others!

Until next time, xx.




3 comments:

  1. This is so fantastic! I've been saving all of my girl's clothes to do this someday. I can't wait to see more pics of this. Thanks for linking up with Tuesday Sews at PiePie Designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I'm planning to do something similar one day. :)

    ReplyDelete